Foster Carers & Residential Staff
The role of the carer is paramount in supporting the education of looked after children. Carers should ensure that the child has appropriate access to learning and is encouraged to make best use of it and fulfil their potential. Though not always explicitly stated in the placement agreement this should include:
- working closely with the child’s school or other educational placement.
- taking an active interest in the child’s homework.
- encouraging a child to value learning.
- supporting a child’s attendance at school.
- advocating for the child’s individual needs.